Tuesday 6 April 2010

self-development in teaching

13.08.09
I think I enjoy working with adults in an in-house context, doing bits and pieces of business English because it keeps me connected to the office world, prevalent in most of conventional people's lives. It's like being a bit of an insider from the outside. Or is it the other way round? It pushes me to keep up with my business English language, it's like learning different jobs by doing mine. Plus the fact that this office is not a conventional office of a big company, not even a small family-run one but an international charity. I get to know people from different backgrounds, countries and cultures and conflicts, gives a different prespective to governments, plus I am not contributing to the top boss getting rich with my bit.
Take the example of giving presentations. Never the thought of teaching this formal way of communicating , when I never had given one myself, did cross my mind and now, simply and just by attending a number of them in congresses and conferences and workshops for teachers of English has provided me with training or ability to teach this myself. Obviously, not only listening to what the trainer explained but also by keeping a very active and open attitude to more than just the contents of the session I was attending. A strong focus on what keesp me engaged and motivated, on how the speaker presents him-or herself.
And the need for training, the need to be after challenges, and be open to learn all the time, be willing to improve your performance. Not that i always have this mood (more than attitude) cos sometimes at work, i don't bother enough to do my best.
It's improtant to keep up with changes in the teaching world by reading, taking courses or speaking to other teachers. the latter is good to see different prespectives, different areas of teaching. I'm quite hapy with myself because despite working "alone" i keep up with it, i find relevant training courses...

No comments: