Thursday 18 November 2010

Confident presentations

Now I am going to post a compilation of links and phrases i have found which give very interesting advice on giving presentations. This is going to be of use for those whose confidence is a bit shaky when having to prepare for and give presentations.

The piece of advice i, as a teacher, would give you is that preparation is the key to success and that it's normal to be nervous, very few people do not get nervous when having to speak in public. The other big piece of advice is not to panick when you you find yourself in a sticky situation, like not remembering how to say something in English or if you realise you've forgotten to say something important or any these little glitches and problems. These can happen to absolutely every person on earth, ok some more often than others but hey!, whether it is giving presentations in a foreign or in your own language. The key is to be prepared. This posting will give you the resourses for many of the potential situations you may face when presenting.

Good reading and watching!

The following is taken from:

http://www.effective-public-speaking.com/starting/menu.php
More links below

In modern English, presentations tend to be much less formal than they were even twenty years ago. Most audience these days prefer a relatively informal approach. However, there is a certain structure to the opening of a presentation that you should observe

1. Get people's attention

2. Welcome them

3. Introduce yourself

4. State the purpose of your presentation

5. State how you want to deal with questions

Get people's attention

If I could have everybody's attention · If we can start. · Perhaps we should begin? · Let's get started

Welcome them

Thank you for coming today. · Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. · On behalf of our company, I'd like to welcome you.

Introduce yourself

My name's Jane Shawre. I'm responsible for travel arrangements.

· For those of you who don't know me, my name's Tom Strwotter.

· As you know, I'm in charge of public relations.

· I'm the new Marketing Manager.

State the purpose of the presentation

This morning I'd like to present our new processor.

· Today I'd like to discuss our failures in the Japanese market and suggest a new approach.

· This afternoon, I'd like to report on my study into the German market.

· What I want to do this morning is to talk to you about our new mobile telephone system.

· What I want to do is to tell you about our successes and failures in introducing new working patterns.

· What I want to do is to show you how we've made our first successful steps in the potentially huge Chinese market

State how you want to deal with questions.

· If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them as we go along.

· Feel free to ask any questions.

· Perhaps we can leave any questions you have until the end?

· There will be plenty of time for questions at the end


My recommendation is to learn the couple of expressions in each section you fell more comfortable with by heart.

You'll notice or have noticed that Let's and I'd like to, I am going to... come up very often, these are what you want to start using!


http://www.business-english.com/signposting/exercise1.html

http://www.effective-public-speaking.com/

GIVING PRESENTATIONS: USEFUL LANGUAGE

1. If you get your facts wrong.

I am terribly sorry. What I meant to say was this.
Sorry. What I meant is this.

2. If you have been going too fast and your audience is having trouble keeping up with you.

Let me just recap on that.
I want to recap briefly on what I have been saying.

3. If you have forgotten to make a point.

Sorry, I should just mention one other thing.
If I can just go back to the previous point, there is something else that I forgot to mention.

4. If you have been too complicated and want to simplify what you said.

So, basically, what I am saying is … this.
So, basically, the point I am trying to get across is this.

5. If you realize that what you are saying makes no sense.

Sorry, perhaps I did not make that quite clear.
Let me rephrase that to make it quite clear.

6. If you cannot remember the term in English.

Sorry, what is the word I am looking for?
Sorry, my mind has gone blank. How do you say ‘escargot’ in English?

7. If you are short of time. Time is running out.

So just to give you the main points.
As we are short of time, this is just a quick summary of the main points.

8. When you want to make your next point, you ‘move on’.

Moving on to the next point.

I’d like to move on to the next point if there are no further questions.

9. When you want to change to a completely different topic, you ‘turn to’.

I’d like to turn to something completely different.

Let’s turn now to our plans for next year.

10. When you want to give more details about a topic you ‘expand’ or ‘elaborate’.

I’d like to expand more on this problem we have had in Chicago.

Would you like me to expand a little more on that or have you understood enough?

I don’t want to elaborate any more on that as I’m short of time.

11. When you want to refer back to an earlier point, you ‘go back’.

Going back to something I said earlier, the situation in Chicago is serious.

I’d like to go back to something Jane said in her presentation.

12. When you want to refer back to an earlier point, you ‘go back’.

Going back to something I said earlier, the situation in Chicago is serious.

I’d like to go back to something Jane said in her presentation.

13. To just give the outline of a point, you ’summarize’.

If I could just summarize a few points from John’s report.

I don’t have a lot of time left so I’m going to summarize the next few points.

14. To repeat the main points of what you have said, you ‘recap’.

I’d like to quickly recap the main points of my presentation.

Recapping quickly on what was said before lunch, ……

15. For your final remarks, you ‘conclude’.

I’d like to conclude by leaving you with this thought ……

If I may conclude by quoting Karl Marx …….


I always recommend taht you learn the expressions and phrases you feel more at ease with and that you personalise them, study them by using your name, your company's name, etc.

Links and resources:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/business/talkingbusiness/unit3presentations/1opening.shtml it has several links within the same tab

http://www.business-english.com/signposting/exercise1.html

http://www.effective-public-speaking.com/

www.Ted.com as examples of fantastic presentations: visuals, warm-ups, jokes, tone of voice, emphasis…

English 365 (CUP) purple and bluish book both have material and listenings

In company (MacMillan), unit 12

Business Vocabulary in Use (CUP) written by Bill Mascull has also material on that.



Videos on www.youtube.com :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmjGz4PS6sI&p=CBC9B0E3479C39F4&playnext=1&index=44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV-z_yBrS3s&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdGgDEjmGhM&NR=1

speak slowly video (not only for presentations):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ttDTszXG4M

among many others…

I think i have provided references of all the material i have used. Any question, leave a comment and i'll get back to you.

6 comments:

sara said...

hello Cristina!

this is very interesting ..... I should recover my blog again... cheers
sara

Silvia Pico said...

Very interesting and useful post for public speeches. Thanks Chris!

Cristina B said...

Thanks Silvia, I should get a bit more into blogging. This blog started off as a way for me to compile ideas and post comments to my student's blogs and now i'd like to give it more of a theme. The more one teaches the more one learns and i like to write about what learn when teaching.
I guess you do teenagers, don't you?
Have you seen the wiki i mention in another comment? Again, this is just for me to familiarised with the tool but there might be intersting stuff for teachers, i guess.
Thanks for the comment Silvia

Silvia Pico said...

Hi Chris, no matters what is the guideline of a blog, some time it can change depending on your needs. I started that blog to compilate resources for my primary students. Now it's been three years since I'm working in training teachers in ICT, and also English teachers, so the blog became a support for that training.
I also recommend you to start in Twitter (if you're not yet) and follow other teachers.
Good job with you wiki and excellent Ted talk. I'm a really TED's fan.
The best of luck and keep in touch!
@silpico

By the way, where do you write from?

Cristina B said...

Hi again Silvia,
Teacher training is something I'd like to do but I don't feel confident enough, much as I may have the experience now. I love what I do and I am exploring to move on to other teaching-related areas than teaching face-to-face, one-to-one.
No, I am not on Twitter, any recommendation?
If you train in ICT you must be familiar with wikis, i am now trying to get a hang of them.

Silvia Pico said...

I've linked your name and your blog in a new post http://englishforteaching.blogspot.com/2011/04/patricia-ryan-dont-insist-on-english.html
Yes, wikis are familiar to me. Keep exploring it and blogs, and see you here (or in Twitter).
Thanks!!
@silpico